To help parents of youth (and Junior) riders here are the gear restrictions from British Cycling and age categories.
In all road events (other than events promoted in accordance with T.R. 7.12) juniors shall be restricted to a maximum gear such that the distance covered per crank revolution is 7.93 metres. The gear restriction shall not apply to seniors.
In all events other than under the provisions of 3.3.3 below, Youth category riders shall be restricted to maximum gears as shown below.
- YOUTH A - 6.93 metres
- YOUTH B - 6.45 metres
- YOUTH C - 6.05 metres
- YOUTH D - 5.40 metres
- YOUTH E - 5.10 metres
- JUNIORS - 7.93 metres
Juniors - Road Racing Licence Categories Explained
All junior and senior licence holders, male or female are categorised by their ability. Riders of the same ability category continue to compete together in races irrespective of their age category, except in the case of age related events.
4th Category: A new junior or senior licence holder.
3rd Category: Any junior or senior licence holder who has gained 10 points during any one season whilst holding a 4th category licence. Note: Riders are never downgraded to 4th category once a 3rd category licence has been achieved.
2nd Category: Any junior or senior licence holder who has gained 40 points during any one season whilst holding a 3rd category licence. To retain a 2nd category licence for the following season, a rider must obtain at least 25 points in events open to that category of rider.
1st Category: Any junior or senior licence holder who has gained 200 points during any one season whilst holding a 2nd category licence. To retain a 1st category licence for the following season, a rider must obtain at least 100 points in events open to that category of rider.
Any rider who:
- has gained 300 points during the previous season whilst holding an elite or 1st category licence,
- at the 31st December of the previous year was listed in the top 10 in the Senior Men's National Cross Country MTB Rankings
On reaching the Junior age category, existing licence holders will be awarded initial ability categories as follows:
4th Category: Any rider who has gained no Youth licence points in the previous year.
3rd Category: Any rider who has gained Youth licence points in the previous year.
2nd Category male: Any rider who has achieved:
- Top 15 in the Youth A Boys in the previous year's National Circuit Race Series
- Top 10 in the Youth A Boys in the previous year's Track Omnium Series
- Top 3 in Any in the previous year's Road/Track Youth A Boys National Championship
- Top 10 in Youth A Boys National Rankings in the previous season
2nd Category female: Any rider who has achieved:
- Top 5 in the Youth A Girls in the previous year's National Circuit Race Series
- Top 10 in the Youth A Girls in the previous year's Track Omnium Series
- Top 3 in any in the previous year's Road/Track Youth A Girls National Championship
- Top 5 in Youth A Girls National Rankings in the previous season
NB: Junior riders are not be eligible for elite licences
General Race Rules
- Care needs to be exercised when warming up in the paddock. Better to use the perimeter road or even to leave the circuit and use the public highway.
- No urinating on the circuit at any time by anyone! There are toilets available, please use them.
- Signing on, your race number will be the next number on the pile. Please enter your race number on the sheet and wear your number on your left hip (securely pinned). If your number can not be seen then the judges can not award you your race position. Your address is only needed on your first entry to the series this year. Emergency contact number is needed for all competitors. Please make cheques payable to: Castle Combe Summer Series.
- Riders must not enter the main circuit or pit lane until the Youth racing has finished on that area. Please use the perimeter road for your warm up. Riders must not stop or U-turn after finishing the race. Please continue to the end of the pit lane and turn right there to return to car park. There will still be another race in progress. Please use the perimeter road for your cool down.
- Results, please come back to the judges if you believe that you gained a position but at the same time respect the judges and wait until they have deliberated on the result themselves. We usually have a photo to back up the results and appreciate your involvement identifying riders accordingly in a polite and respectful manner.